If asked about our Valley’s treasures, visitors to Central California would most likely point to our delicious variety of fresh fruits, vegetables and other agricultural commodities as well as the beauty of our countryside and mountains. And while Valley residents would agree we are blessed to live in close proximity to these riches, the men and women who gathered at the 16th annual Harvest Ball firmly believe the Valley’s greatest treasure is our children.
Held at Wawona Ranch Friday, Sept. 28, the Harvest Ball was presented by Bill and Linda Smittcamp and the Children's Hospital Central California Foundation Board of Directors. A sold-out crowd of 670 attended this year’s gala in support of the Valley’s only dedicated pediatric hospital. Proceeds totaled $383, 942 from ticket sales, sponsorship packages and advertisements in “Valley Treasures: Children’s Hospital 2012 Story Album,” a compilation of patient stories.
Generous donors bid on rare wines, exclusive vacation packages, stunning jewelry and more, including a helicopter ride through Yosemite Valley on Air George, the Hospital’s medical transport, which carries critically ill and injured children to Children's for lifesaving care every day. The live and silent auctions along with Fund-A-Need gifts raised $223,812 for the Hospital.
The peach theme perfectly accented the packing-shed venue. Beautiful floral arrangements designed by Lou Gentile’s Flower Basket graced each table. The delicious meal, catered by Pardini’s, was accompanied by dinner wines donated by E. & J. Gallo wines and bookended by appetizers and dessert donated by Fowler Packing. At the end of the evening, each party went home with a box of artfully decorated cupcakes from Cup Cakes Bakery and a signed, first edition of “A Turn in the South” by V. S. Naipaul, donated by Stewart and Lynda Resnick.
Warren Armstrong, news anchor at ABC30, served as emcee for the 16th consecutive year. The program included an address by childhood cancer survivor, Chelsea Harkness. She spoke of her experiences as an oncology patient of the Hospital’s Craycroft Cancer Center, one of the largest pediatric cancer centers on the West Coast. “Chelsea got a standing ovation,” said Peggy Dunlap, campaign coordinator, Children's Hospital Central California Foundation. “She was very articulate and poignant in expressing the importance of receiving good care. She’s become a mentor in the community and continues to give back to other cancer patients.”
Todd Suntrapak, president and chief executive officer, Children's Hospital, introduced pro golfer Kevin Chappell, who chose to focus his philanthropic efforts as a PGA Tour professional on helping young cancer patients by launching the Kevin Chappell Champion for Children's endowment fund to benefit the Hospital’s oncology program.
Bill and Linda Smittcamp made a special presentation to Jim Meinert, vice president, philanthropy, Children's Hospital, in recognition of his retirement – effective the day of the Harvest Ball.
Children's Hospital Central California depends on philanthropy to carry out our mission to provide high-quality healthcare services to children, regardless of their ability to pay, and to continuously improve the health and wellbeing of children. We heartily thank our premiere sponsors listed below, as well as all who attended this year’s Harvest Ball.
The Hospital’s generous contributors are Valley treasures, too!
$25,000 presenting sponsors:
- Table Mountain Rancheria
- Wawona Frozen Foods, Inc. - Mr. and Mrs. Bill and Linda Smittcamp
- Wells Fargo
- Western Milling
$15,000 dinner sponsors:
- Campos Land Company
- Olam Spices & Vegetable Ingredients
- Paramount Citrus - Mr. and Mrs. David and Lisa Krause
$10,000 harvest sponsors:
- Barrier Specialty Roofing & Coatings - Mr. and Mrs. Blair Cunnings
- Fresno Lexus - Caren Myers, general manager
- Lynne Murphy Davis Family/Grannis Creative/JP Marketing
- Jeff and Melanie Mayer
- Producers Dairy - The Shehadey Family
- Trinity Fruit Sales - Mr. and Mrs. David and Lisa White
Thank You to the Wineries:
- Alma Rosa – AVA Santa Rita
- Arada Winery – Paso Robles
- Chateau Fayolle – Dordogne Valley
- E. & J. Gallo Winery – Modesto
- GAGA – Santa Rosa
- Galante Vineyards – AVA Carmel Valley
- J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines – Monterey
- JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery – Paso Robles
- Katin Winery – Paso Robles
- Lava Cap – AVA Sierra Foothills
- Novy Winery – Sonoma Valley
- Opolo Vineyards – Paso Robles
- Quady Winery – Central California
- Siduri Winery – Sonoma
- ABC 30/KFSN-TV
- A Touch of Class Transportation, Inc. - Deena Papagni
- Brad Bell, The Well Community Church
- Children’s Hospital Communications and Marketing Department
- Classic Charter
- Cup Cakes Bakery - Karen and Bobby Cook
- Dumont Printing and Mailing
- Fogg, Maxwell, Lanier & Remington EyeCare
- Fowler Packing Company, Inc.
- E. & J. Gallo Winery - Gregory and Jessica Coleman
- Erna’s Elderberry House - Erna Kubin-Clanin
- Chelsea Harkness
- Helen Hays
- Home Depot
- JUSTIN Winery
- Lou Gentile’s Flower Basket
- Media Solutions, Inc.
- OCCU-MED - Jim Johnson and Dr. Devonna Kaji
- Orloff Jewelers - James and Mary Ann Orloff
- Pardinis Catering - Jimmy Pardini
- Paramount Agricultural Companies
- Stefanelli Distributing Company - Carl Rana
- Stewart and Lynda Resnick
- Julie Ross
- Bill and Linda Smittcamp
- Bethany Sowell
- Dr. Edward and Sylvia Tang
- Town & Country Party Rentals & Decorating
- Walker-Lewis Rents
- Willow Gardens Nursery